The Cambrian Mills, which opened in 1856, were the first steam-driven mills in Newtown. It saw a large population growth as companies and people settled, changing its rural market town character. Newtown was governed at local level by Newtown Urban District Council, until it was replaced by Newtown and Llanllwchaiarn Town Council under the Local Government Act 1972.
Today's Town Council consists of 16 elected members, serving a five-year term, and employs a staff of about ten..
Most of the local bus services, within the town and serving nearby locations, are operated by local, privately owned companies.Newtown has one National Express bus per day in each direction: Aberystwyth to London and back.It is surrounded by small villages often referred to collectively as the Newtown area.The Newtown post town area, including surrounding villages, has a population approaching 16,000.The town grew in the 18th and 19th centuries around the textile and flannel industry, stimulated by completion of the Montgomeryshire Canal.
In 1838, the town saw Wales's first Chartist demonstration.) is the largest town in the county of Powys, Wales.It had a population of 12,783 in 2001, which fell to 11,357 at the 2011 census.He seized Llywelyn's lands and granted them to the Mortimers.They transferred the administration of the cantref of Cedewain and the commote of Ceri from Dolforwyn Castle to the new settlement at Newtown.The Robert Owen Museum is across the road on the ground floor of the council offices.